At Work…

  • Take this time to review your workplace emergency procedures.
  • Never hang holiday decorations from sprinkler heads / pipes, or in a manner that would impede their intended use.
  • Choose decorations that are flame-retardant, non-combustible and non-conductive.
  • Do not overload wall outlets. This is an unsafe practice and should be avoided even for short durations. Inspect all cords before using. Make sure they are CSA approved and inspect for loose connections, frayed or exposed wire.
  • To avoid possible overheating, do not coil or bunch an extension cord which is in
    use and do not run it under carpets or rugs. Use only CSA approved power bars.
  • Portable space heaters may or not be permitted for use in your building – Check with your Property Manager. Portable space heaters can quickly warm up a cold room but they have also been the cause of many serious fires. They must be used with care. Ensure they are equipped with tilt / tip protection causing the unit to shut down.
  • Leave enough space for the circulation of air around heaters and other equipment such
    as computer terminals and copy machines.
  • Candles or items that may cause sparks or “Open Flame” should not be used without property management authorization.
  • Keep exits, stairways, storage areas, staff rooms and work areas free from debris
    such as empty boxes, waste paper and soiled rags.

 

At Home…

  • Use Canadian Standards Association (CSA) approved light strings/sets.
  • Use the proper lights for the environment. Indoor light strings/sets should not be used outdoors because they lack weatherproof connections. Some outdoor light strings/sets burn too hot for indoors.
  • Inspect light strings/set before use. Check for cracked bulbs and for frayed, broken or exposed wires, and discard if faulty.
  • Holiday Plants & Flowers: Holly and Mistletoe can be fatal to a small child and the smaller the child, the smaller the dose that can cause serious medical Call 9-1-1 if your children ingest these plants.
  • Turn off all tree and display lights before retiring for the night or before leaving the house.
  • Real Trees are thirsty. They may drink up to four litres of water per day, so be sure to check daily and supply fresh water as needed. A stand that holds a least four litres of water is recommended. If you allow the water level to drop below the bottom of the tree, a seal will form just as it does on a cut flower and a new cut will be necessary in order for water to be absorbed.
  • Real Trees: Do not set your tree up near a heat source such as a radiator,
    television, fireplace, or heating duct.
  • Artificial Trees: Artificial trees must have a fire-retardant label. Metal or aluminum trees are conductors of electricity. Don’t decorate them with strings of lights or with any electrical product.
  • Never leave burning candles unattended. Snuff them out before leaving the room or going to sleep.
  • Never burn gift wrappings, boxes, cartons, or other types of packing in the fireplace. They burn too rapidly and generate far too much heat.

If you haven’t already, inspect your Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors for function – Change the batteries every six months whether they are needed or not!